My Path to Getting Rich

This is my blog about my journey to financial freedom.

Thursday, March 1, 2007

The Golden Rule for his Birthday.


It was my oldest son’s birthday this week and it gave me an opportunity to realize how much he has grown. I look at all the things he is able to do all by himself. I also get shocked at the things he’s great at (especially Xbox360 games). As I watched him, I sat there and thought about what are the important things in life to teach him. Obviously I would love to show him traditional values of our American way of life and how to be respectful and all that. But what are some other things that I wish I would have been taught? Shouldn’t he know about the Golden Rule? The Golden Rule that states "treat others as you would like to be treated." But, what about the other Golden Rule? The other one says, “He who has the gold, makes the rules.” Ever heard of that one? Believe it or not but neither did I until recently. I guess I should have figured it out sooner since I’m in the military and all. Regular enlisted folks don’t make nearly the same as officers do. Since they have a degree and different training, they are paid more. And since they get paid more, guess who makes all the decisions….you guessed it, Officers. From my small experience and knowledge, I’m pretty sure the rest of the world’s job market operates in the same matter. Does your boss make more money than you do? So what is our goal here, to make more gold right? I know mine is but I would rather make it in a way that doesn’t require more back ache and longer nights. So I concluded that it’s going to make great sense to teach my son financial skills that I learn so maybe he can make the rules. They don’t teach this stuff in school and I wasn’t even taught it at home. I’m not upset though because the average child doesn’t get taught stuff like that. If you did, lucky you. I didn’t even know what a credit score was until about 7 years ago. Weird huh! Things like that weren’t taught to me when I was growing up. The focus was more on getting good grades and learning a trade. The best part about getting rich is that you will know how far I came along proving that you can too. I can't really explain all this to him just yet, but soon enough I will have to and hopefully he will continue to pass it on as well. Happy Birthday son.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home